Child Care Health ConsultantsFind a CCHC
Child Care Health Consultants (CCHCs) are trained health professionals with education and experience in both child and community health and early care and education. CCHCs work with programs to assess, plan, implement, and evaluate strategies to achieve high quality, safe and healthy child care environments. Qualified CCHCs in North Carolina have completed the NC Child Care Health Consultant Training Course.
What do CCHCs do?
- Assess the environments for health and safety in child care facilities
- Develop strategies for inclusion of children with special health care needs
- Support early educators with preventing and managing injuries and infectious disease
- Connect early educators and families to community health resources
- Provide up-to-date information on regulations and best practices
- Provide health and safety technical assistance and training
CCHCs make a difference
Child care health consultation has shown to positively impact:
- health and safety policies and practices in child care programsi
- indicators of health and access to preventive health care for children and staffii
- the development and use of standards based health and safety policies in early childhood education programsiii
Download a one-pager on Child Care Health Consultation here: CCHC 1 pager 2018
i NC DHHS, Division of Child Development and Early Education, County: Child Care Analysis Detail, January 2018.
ii Isbell, P. et al. Improvement of Child Care Programs’ Health and Safety Policies, and Practices, and Children’s Access to Health Care, Linked to Child Care Health Consultation, Dialog, 16(2), 34-52
iii The influence of child care health consultants in promoting children’s health and well-being: A report on selected resources. US DHHS, Maternal and Child Health Bureau, HRSA. Newton, MA. 2006