NC CCHC Course
The Child Care Health Consultant Training Course prepares health professionals to fulfill their role as child care health consultants (CCHCs). The course provides CCHCs the information, resources, and hands-on experiences that will inform their practice. This course runs approximately fourteen weeks and includes weekly readings and videos, a content-related quiz, self-directed assignments, and an online group discussion.
Course Outline At-A-Glance
- Virtual orientation: the role of the child care health consultant (cchc)
- Lesson 1: quality child care and regulations
- Lesson 2: children with special health care needs and community/professional supports
- Lesson 3: health education/health literacy
- Lesson 4: consultation and coaching
- Lesson 5: health, safety, and wellness practices and policy development/implementation
- Lesson 6: Child Care and Development Fund Health and Safety Training topics week 1
- Lesson 7: Child Care and Development Fund Health and Safety Training topics week 2
- Lesson 8: other subject matter areas
- Preparing for the in-person session
- In-person day 1: ITERS/ECERS and Administration of Medication
- In-person day 2: Classroom observation and training demonstration
Acceptance into the course is based on:
- job responsibilities,
- the ability to provide consultation to early care and education (child care) facilities, and
- documented education and experience, which can be either
- a degree in nursing (ASN or BSN) with experience in public health or pediatric nursing and licensure as a registered nurse (RN), or
- a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in health education, or health related field with experience in health education. Examples of health related fields include: nutrition and physical activity, oral health, community or public health. Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) designation is preferred for health education practitioners.
Contact the NC Child Care Health and Safety Resource Center for information about applying for the course or call 1-800-367-2229 for information.